birding-aus

owlet nightjar

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: owlet nightjar
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:52:32 +1030
Hi all

Last night celebrating new year's eve outside on a balmy night an Owlet
Nightjar called once around 10:30 in the patch of mallee that covers half of
our property here at Waikerie (SA). I'd never heard one here before in the 5
years we've lived here. A few years ago I had hung up some hollow logs which
I had converted into nest boxes and this morning I thought I'd check the one
near where the owlet nightjar was calling, by knocking on the tree trunk,
and sure enough the bird poked its head out and looked around, then flew
off. (I hope this hasn't scared it away!). I've hardly ever seen Owlet
Nightjars, usually only hear them (and not that often anyway!).
Meanwhile Regent Parrots frequent the trees in our garden on a daily basis,
they come to within metres of the house. The biggest flock I've seen in the
last few days was around 40 birds.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia