birding-aus

FW: [BIRDING-AUS] Capricorn Red Junglefowl

To: <>
Subject: FW: [BIRDING-AUS] Capricorn Red Junglefowl
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:26:45 +1000
Hello Regan,

        Thanks for your email of Dec 30.  I realise you don't need further
info on this but as I had already asked Peter Ogilvie for comment, I might
as well pass on his response.

Peter is the Manager of the World Heritage Unit in the Q. Environmental
Protection Agency.  He was the National Parks Zoologist when he and I did a
biological survey of the Capricorn/Bunker Groups back in the '60s.

Cheers

Syd

----------

Syd

The park staff removed the chooks (and cats) some seven or eight years
ago.  To the best of my knowledge, there are none left, though it wasn't
a one-off job.  I understand the cats took a couple of years to
eliminate.  The Qld Uni was given an opportunity to take some of the
chooks if they wanted them (Glen McBride had done some research on the
population).  I don't know whether that offer was taken up.  Glen
retired some years ago as I recall.

Cheers
Peter