birding-aus

FW: 2004 Birding Highlights

To: <>
Subject: FW: 2004 Birding Highlights
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:20:35 +1100

2004 has been another good birding year for me (and I hope it has been much the same for everyone on the birding-aus list) and would like to share some of my top highlights:

Good sightings of interesting rare/uncommon birds in the Hunter this year (particularly around Ash Island and Harrington) including Stilt, Buff-breasted and 3 Broad-billed Sandpipers, a pair of Painted Snipe, Yellow Wagtail, pair of Black-necked Storks, Black Falcons on 2 occasions, nesting Square-tailed Kites, a few Turquoise Parrots, White-eared Monarch and Grass Owl. I also saw this year what looked like a hybrid Australian x South Island Pied Oystercatcher at Stockton!

A successful and my first ever Top End Trip (managing to see almost all my target species) with most memorable observations being a pair of Red Goshawks nesting, large flocks of Gouldian with other Finches, many beautiful Hooded Parrots, crippling views of White-throated Grasswrens and Chestnut Rails mating etc.

Cracking the 600 (thanks to my Top End Trip) and finishing this year with a “Big Bang” adding Grass Owl to make species number 622 on my life list (there are still plenty of birds to see in a number of places for me to get the 700!).

Good birding in my local patch, Prospect Reservoir, adding a number of new species to my list of the area which has finished at 173 species to date. A pair of Grey Goshawks, Lewin’s Rail a Wedge-tailed Eagle was amongst the interesting additions.

Excellent sea watching from Maroubra in Sydney (a premier birding spot) seeing this year 3 Wandering Albatross, a few Cape Petrels fairly close in (one of my favourite birds), 1000 Great-winged Petrels (an awesome event), both Streaked and Buller’s Shearwaters, White Tern, Grey Ternlet, Common Noddy and Long-tailed Jaegar.

Other interesting birds seen in Sydney including Wandering Tattler and Superb Fruit-dove.

A successful Swift Parrot survey at Prospect Reservoir with the target species seen twice there this winter. I always get a buzz when I see this beautiful parrot no matter how many times I have seen them.

Good bird photography opportunities in the Top End and closer at home. Two of my best shots this year were a Gang-gang Cockatoo (one of my first digital bird images) and an Owlet Nightjar in broad daylight. I must remember to have the camera ready at all times when I am out birding.

I have also had other non-birding highlights this year but I will not bore you with those.

I would be interested to hear what others thought were their most memorable birding moments/highlights this year.

Let’s hope 2005 will be another good birding year for everyone on the birding-aus list and for the birds (especially for all the endangered ones). Peace and Goodwill to everyone!

A Huge thanks again to Russell Woodford for maintaining this superb informative source. An excellent job indeed! And thanks to all who have made this source entertaining.

Happy new year to you all!

Edwin Vella