birding-aus

Trip To Cocos Is

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Trip To Cocos Is
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:38:33 +1100
Comrades,

Forwarded on behalf of Darryel Binns.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryel Binns [
Sent:
Friday, 17 December 2004 10:14 AM
Cc: 'Gil Langfield'; 'Duddles'; 'Nt Birds';

Hi,  I was part of the Coates Bird trip to Christmas Is from 29th Nov. to 6th Dec, I won’t cover that as I believe my fellow birder Gil Langfield has done that.

 I got off on Cocos on the way home and spent 3 days there until the next plane out on the 9th.

  LIST;

Green Jungle fowl, West Is, plentiful.

Red Jungle Fowl, Horsburgh and Direction Is.

Red-footed Booby, out at sea.

Great and lesser Booby, at sea and over West Is.

Little Egret, West Is, airport.

Eastern reef Egret, all Islands visit, including South,( White most common)

Nankeen Night heron, very abundant on tidal flats off airstrip West is.

White-breasted Waterhen, 4 seen south end airstrip in sth lagoon area, West Is. Not on the list I had, but found it in Management Plan, Pulu Keeling National Park, bird list, (Hopton 2003, pers comm.).

Common Greenshank, 1 Horsburgh Is. And 1 on West Is.

Common Sandpiper, West Is.

White-winged Black Tern, West Is, North Lagoon.

Common Noddy, Inner lagoon,

White tern, West, South and Norsburgh Is.

Christmas Is. White-eye,  Norsburgh Is, quite a lot seen.

 I identified a Oriental Cuckoo for the Parks staff that had flown into a window of a residence the day I arrived, which had expired itself.

 This is first record for the Island, I hope the senior Ranger, Robert Thorn will lodge the record.

 I was planning a trip to North (Keeling) Is, but the weather cracked up the day we where going and decided not to risk it in the small boat my offsider had.

I would like to thank, the Met person Mr John Dudley for getting me to the outer Islands and Coates wildlife tours for making the trip possible, and there guides, Mr, Rick Curtis and Steve Dale for the Christmas section.

On my return to Christmas Is while re-fuelling, I seen on and around the Airstrip 5 Sp;

Oriental Pratincole, Whit-faced heron, Intermediate Egret, several Kestrels and Christmas Is. Imperial Pigeons.

Cheers and Merry Christmas and Happy Birding new Year to all who read this.

Darryel (Biggles) Binns, Darwin