birding-aus

[Birding-Aus] Gang-gang decline in NSW

To: <>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Gang-gang decline in NSW
From: "Neil Kirby" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:46:47 +1100

I suspect the culprits are Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. They are out-competing the Gang-gangs for both nesting sights and feeding trees and shrubs. In the lower Blue Mountains there are now very large flocks that swarm into the valleys at dusk each day to roost in the tall stands of  Eucalyptus deanei. They dominate the hollows suitable for nesting by Gang-gangs and the breeding season for the two species coincide, unlike the seasons for Yellow-tailed and Glossies.  I have witnessed ScC driving Gang-gangs away from hollows that the Gang-gangs had been preparing for nesting. I have also observed ScC feeding on the same trees (E.gummifera & E, piperita and the many Acacias favoured  by Gang-gangs.

Neil Kirby