birding-aus

Red Wattlebird chasing Pelican

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Red Wattlebird chasing Pelican
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:21:15 +1100
I saw a flock of about 13 Aust Pelicans overflying my son's house in St Kilda on 11 Dec 2004. They firstly flew overhead in a roughly westerly direction, in a rought line formation. The interesting thing about this sighting is that a Red Wattlebird was harrassing one of the pelicans. The pelicans (presumably the same group) flew back in the reverse direction a few moments later and the wattlebird again came out in persuit  of one particular pelican.  Why would a Red Wattlebird need to harrass an a pelican?