birding-aus

Never Never Safaris: Tenterfield/Border Ranges

Subject: Never Never Safaris: Tenterfield/Border Ranges
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:37:22 +1100
My dad after about 17 years is about to sell his business, so I took the
advantage while I was on holidays to go on a three day tour with him. I had
been on various parts of the tour in the past, but this was the first time I
had done the whole trip. The itinerary was as follows:
Day 1
Left home (Crystal Creek near Murwillumbah) before dawn
Drove to Brisbane to pick up the customers.
Headed via Ipswich, Cunningham's Gap to Warwick.
Stopped at a winery near Stanthorpe
Visited Girraween NP and climbed the Pyramids
Vsited a farm near Tenterfield and stayed in a motel in this town
Day 2
North from Tenterfield to Bald Rock
Lunch at Boonoo Boonoo National Park
Via back roads to Drake then through Richmond Range National Park to
Toonumbar Dam.
Day 3
Into Kyogle then on to Border Ranges National Park
Walked through Brindle Creek and Antarctic Beech Picnis Area and lunched at
Blackbutt Lookout.
Down into Murwillumbah where I was met by my mum and out to home (could have
gone to Brisbane and back like Dad but he still hasn't returned).

The weather was pretty hot and humid so generally not great birdwatching
weather (particularly today up in the rainforest). 133 species recorded
(list below) with a few obvious missing species (like waterbirds and a few
rainforest species). Nothing specatacular, but a good variety of north coast
species.

Highlights were Cockatiel east of Aratula (escapee?), Plum-headed Finch at
Ballandean, Diamond Firetail near Tenterfield, Red-browed Treecreeper at
Bald Rock car park, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike and White-throated Nightjar
at Toonumbar Dam and Paradise Riflebird at Brindle Creek. Rufous Bettong in
Richmond Range NP was a new species of mammal.

Give me a yell if you want any details on any species.
Cheers,
Peter

Australian Wood Duck
Black Swan