birding-aus

RE: Coxen's Fig-Parrot - recent records (and the Regent Honeyeater ex

Subject: RE: Coxen's Fig-Parrot - recent records (and the Regent Honeyeater experience)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:02:12 +1100

Ian Gynther wrote "the recovery team has conducted a concentrated campaign via brochures, electronic media, press articles, public presentations, training workshops and targeted projects to heighten awareness of fig-parrots in areas of known or potential habitat,
particularly emphasising the need to report all sightings as a matter of urgency. Prior to this campaign, it is very likely that people were seeing the birds but were not aware of their endangered status or that sightings needed to be reported, while other people did not know what the birds were at all. Even to non-birders, fig-parrots seen well (and I emphasise that) are distinctive and memorable. Some sighting reports involve observers who initially thought the birds they had seen were a type of lovebird (exotic parrots of the genus Agapornis), which have an uncanny resemblance to fig-parrots in size, body form and voice.
"

Remove the words fig-parrot and substitute Regent Honeyeater and the Regent HE Recovery Team has had much the same experience.  Although we don't have the lovebird misidentification problem we do get a hell of a lot of reports of New Holland Honeyeaters!

Interesting, I now have more records on my database of Regent Honeyeaters since 1994 (the commencement of the Recovery Effort) than before.  This is simply because of an increased effort in searching for the species and an awareness of the importance of reporting sightings.  Even so, it appears that not all are getting the message with some record records appearing in print that were not reported to those that should know.  It really is important that sightings are reported ASAP.  I can't stress this enough as we are able to follow up on these and collect a great deal more information beyond date and location!  This is especially so in Victoria where the decline in Regent Honeyeater numbers appears now to be critical.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.