birding-aus

Southern Boobook family

To: Craig Williams <>,
Subject: Southern Boobook family
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:14:57 +1100
Hello Craig and others,

Yep you've got some good points. I think that there is probably a fair amount of variation within species, its just that its more visible variation (to our eyes) with some species than with others.

The dark colouration that some Boobooks have would probably be an advantage in denser environments such as rainforest so this could be a reason for the preponderance of darker birds on the Atherton Tableland. Birds that are darker might be more successful at finding food, get harassed by honeyeaters less often (so get more sleep) and thus have more offspring which are in turn also dark. Certainly the Boobooks that are on Cape York and across northern Australia tend to be paler than the eastern ones and thes northern boobooks would occupy savanna woodland much of the time.

I don't know whether it has implications for their ability to survive in urban situations. I hope that it means they will thrive! Only time will tell. Up until fairly recently Boobooks haven't received as much attention as their rarer relatives, Barking Powerful etc. I think that there has been some research on them recently though. If anybody knows more about Boobook research I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers

Mick