birding-aus

BA PORT FAIRY PELAGIC REPORT FOR 12.12.04

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: BA PORT FAIRY PELAGIC REPORT FOR 12.12.04
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:52:55 -0800

BA-VIC Victorian Pelagic 12.12.04

SUMMARY: This was a good trip for comfort and marine mammals but poor for diversity and abundance of seabirds.

OBSERVERS: Chris Lester (organiser), Rob Berry, Rohan Clarke, Gail D’Alton, Tim Dolby, Rosemary Lester, David Mules, Grant Penrhyn, Frank Pierce, Adam Rigg, Ray Schultz, Simon Starr, David Stickney, & Mike Carter (leader).

WEATHER: A trough dominated Western Bass Strait with distant weak lows to the N, S & E while a high was approaching from SW WA. The warm and humid conditions of the previous week continued but the storms had passed. Thus initially we had light (5 Kt) SW winds inshore, which died to nothing offshore. The morning was very hazy with some light drizzle, mostly good all-round light but at times dull with visibility reduced to below 3 km. We had eerie, silent, disorientating conditions when drifting. At midday, as we steamed west, we suddenly ran into a 10 Kt SW breeze which persisted for the remainder of the day. 100% cloud cover prevailed until 14.00 then cleared to reveal the sun.

SEA: Until noon we had a flat, often glassy sea, on a low (0.5 m) swell. The sudden arrival of the wind at midday immediately produced a slight chop and the swell rose to 1.0 m. So it was a comfortable ride with virtually no spray. No-one was sick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed from Port Fairy (38º23’18”S 142º14’30”E) at 07.05.

We went out on our usual course of 205º at 13.2 Kts. Apart from several pods of Common Dolphins, the 2.5 hour journey to the shelf-break was uneventful. Even offshore between the 50 and 90 fathom depths where the sounder showed huge shoals of fish, there were few birds. We crossed the shelf into pelagic waters at 09.37 and continued out to 250 fathoms at 39º49.2’s 141º53.2’E where we berleyed with shark liver and small fish. We attracted just a few birds but they weren’t hungry and soon ignored us. Also, two operating trawlers had very few birds in attendance. We cruised around and found some albatrosses, petrels and shearwaters just resting on the sea. It seemed as though the few birds about were satiated and reckoned that flying for a scrap of food in the windless conditions not worth the effort. We did get a glimpse of a Sperm Whale near a newly erected oil-rig. Eventually we headed further west, ran into some wind and then attracted 100 birds, hungry and eager to please, while we berleyed at 38º48.0’S 141º46.7’E between 12.30 and 13.10 where the depth was 151 fathoms. We came in at 13.5 Kts via Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPI) where we cruised slowly off the W & N shores from 15.00 to 15.20. Docked at 16.20.

MAMMALS:

SPERM WHALE: One at 11.40 at 38º57.8’S 141º47.2’E in 420 fathoms issued two blows before deep diving, raising its fluke as it submerged. Not seen again but later two more blows from an unidentified cetacean were seen.

COMMON DOLPHINS: Widespread (11 encounters, pod size from 4 to 40) and abundant (total c. 150). Most in offshore waters but one pod inshore and one in pelagic waters. They put on a great display, most photographers obtaining shots of them ‘flying’.

ELEPHANT SEAL: 1 @ LJPI. Presumably the same animal present last year.

Australian Fur Seals: >3,000 at LJPI and numerous sightings elsewhere at sea.

BIRDS: Only16 species of seabird observed beyond the river mouth indicated below average diversity. Unless noted otherwise, those listed below were near or beyond the shelf break (i.e. pelagic). Notable absences included the great Albatrosses, Storm-Petrels, and Jaegers.

Little Penguin:  3 inshore, 1 pelagic & 2 on LJPI.

Great-winged Petrel: c. 50 (40). 1 nominate race, most apparently gouldi.

Fairy Prion: 36 (12). 1 inshore, 10 offshore & 25 pelagic.

WHITE-CHINNED PETREL: 10 (3).

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 30 (15). 4 offshore & 26 pelagic.

Sooty Shearwater: 6 (3).

Short-tailed Shearwater: 400 (50). 240 inshore, 80 offshore & 80 pelagic.

Fluttering Shearwater: 10 (10).

Black-browed Albatross melanophrys: 3 (2) sub-ads.

Shy Albatross cauta: 80 (36). 10 offshore & 70 pelagic. 60 adults, 8 sub-

ads, 12 juvs.

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 1 juv.

Australasian Gannet: c.45 (30). 110 inshore, 50 off & 2 ads. pelagic.

Black-faced Cormorant: 3 ads. on LJPI.

Kelp Gull: 3 ads. & 2 sub-ads. on LJPI.

Silver Gull: 2 inshore & 35 on LJPI.

Crested Tern: 10 (4), inshore.

                  White-faced Heron: 1 circling high 55 km out to sea!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136