birding-aus

Re:landclearing and the future of birds in NSW

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re:landclearing and the future of birds in NSW
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:30:44 +1000
In Queensland, we now have rules on broadscale land clearing,
effectively banning it.  Before these rules came into effect, there
was a period where farmers were still allowed to clear land, but knew
about the rules.  We too have a clause stating that regrowth can be
cleared, whereas remnant cannot be.  Care to guess what happened in
the period between the farmers finding this out, and the rules coming
into force?

That said, I think that we cannot and should not blame farmers for
this situation.  We are trying to tell them how to farm their land, an
activity which has sustained our country economically since it began,
and cannot cease if we hope to remain a prosperous nation.  Education
has to be the way forward.  People have been mentioning the inability
to enforce laws on land clearing.  We live in a very big country.
Laws are made in cities far removed from the locations they are
affecting, and these laws will be ignored if it suits.  If we can
(tactfully) educate farmers to look after their sustainably, then
everyone benefits.

Chris - Brisbane