birding-aus

Golden Sun Moth Survey (not quite birds) plus grassland birdwatching

To: <>,
Subject: Golden Sun Moth Survey (not quite birds) plus grassland birdwatching
From: <>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:24:58 +1100
Hi Wendy,

If you could forward details, Birds Austtralia - Victoria would be glad
to participate in a survey.

Can you please forward details.

Tim Dolby

Birds Australia - Victoria

> HI All,
I thought some of you, particularly those interested in grasslands and
living in the northern part of Melbourne, might be interested in
surveying an interesting dayflying winged creature a little different
to your usual type.

Last year 2 populations of the rare (FFG listed, EPBC - Critically
Endangered) Golden Sun Moth were re-discovered on the Merri Creek. THe
larger at Craigieburn Grassland.

IN December (Sun 12th & 19th b/w 10-30am-12.30pm) Friends of Merri
Creek with Merri Creek Mgt C'tee and Parks Vic, and
assistance from a Threatened Species Network Community Grant,
are conducting 2 surveys to map and count the population.

While the focus of these surveys is on the sun moths this is an amazing
site for birds too. ~114 native species incl PLains Wanderer (not
positively sighted for some time), Black Falcon, Red-chested Button
Quailhave been recorded for the site. While participating in a weed
mappingexercise there last week I was able to abserve the antics of
Blue Wrens trying to see off a Horsfield's bronze Cuckoo with I expect
designs on their nest. Plus there were lots of other birds about.

If you are interested let me know and I can e-mail an info brochure

Wendy Moore
Friends of Craigieburn Grassland