birding-aus

Crested Pigeon

To: "Mike Simpson" <>
Subject: Crested Pigeon
From: "iandowling" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:03:14 +1100
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your comment.
For want of a suggestion to stop those pesky Turtle Doves getting at your feeder you might try this approach - my feeder is a stand which has a weather cover it. I surround the feeder (attached to the roof) with 50mm wire netting - it takes about 1m . It hangs as a skirt to just below the feeder table and is not attached at the bottom, the gable ends of the roof are open. This prevents the Doves getting in without stopping the parrots. Parrots will fly onto the wire and get through or will work their way under the wire or go in via the gables. Some won't even try. You might like to cut  two - one entry & one escape - slightly larger holes in the wire to make easier access but, not too big or the doves will soon work out how to fly through. Occasionally a dove works out how to get under the wire but it certainly reduces the problem. I haven't any perches for doves to sit on. Needless to say manys the dove that has been dispatched to bird heaven when it doesn't escape quickly.
Ian