birding-aus

Leach's Bird Book

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Leach's Bird Book
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:58:26 +1100
One man's trash..........

Back in the early 1970's I was given three books that had been cancelled at the Fort Steet Girls High School Library in Sydney.  They had been found in a rubbish bin.

They were: a 1912 edition of 'An Australian Bird Book' by J.A. Leach;
                  a 1946 edition of 'What Bird Is That?' by Neville W. Cayley;
                  a 1954 edition of "Wild Life of Australia and New Guinea' by
                     Charles Barrett.

The Leach's bird book was falling apart but was still complete.  I recently had it rebound by a bookbinder in Coffs Harbour who did a wonderful job, even saving the original cover and incorporating it into the new cover.

The book is signed as 'Received' by the school's inaugural principal A. Partridge and is dated 15th October 1915.

I am not offering them for sale but just thought book buffs might be interested in their history.

Regards

Greg