birding-aus

Jehosophat Gully, Kinglake National Park.

Subject: Jehosophat Gully, Kinglake National Park.
From: "Michael Ramsey" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:11:48 +1100
Hi all,

This morning I walked around Jehosophat Gully, Kinglake National Park, north-east of Melbourne. Birds were very active and a good number of wetter forest species were seen.

Almost immediately as I began walking a Lewin's Honeyeater was right in front of me, foraging in loose bark and lichen. I could hear a Bassian Thrush singing in the distance, but it was not until later I saw one foraging in the leaf litter. This species is particularly beautiful in the damp forest with it's scaly feather pattern. Looking into the canopy I heard then saw a Large-billed Scrubwren foraging in the branches, and two Red-browed Treecreepers were climbing over a Mountain Grey Gum. A pair of Eastern Whipbirds were calling in the ferny gullies where a Rufous Fantail was seen as well. In the distance a Satin Flycatcher was heard calling. Crescent Honeyeaters were calling often through the forest.

Thirty species observed in an hour walk. This is a great spot to see many of the species listed above, and its close to Melbourne.

Michael Ramsey, Whittlesea.

Bird List as follows:

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Crimson Rosella
Laughing Kookaburra
White-throated Treecreeper
Red-browed Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Lewin's Honeyeater
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Red Wattlebird
White-naped Honeyeater
Crescent Honeyeater
Spotted Pardalote
Striated Pardalote
White-browed Scrubwren
Large-billed Scrubwren
Brown Thornbill
Striated Thornbill
Eastern Yellow Robin
Eastern Whipbird
Australian Magpie
Pied Currawong
Golden Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Grey Fantail
Rufous Fantail
Satin Flycatcher
Silvereye
Red-browed Finch
Bassian Thrush
Common Balckbird
-------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to