birding-aus

Sandover River -Waite Creek

To: <>
Subject: Sandover River -Waite Creek
From: "Weeds" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:13:14 +0930
Hello everyone,

I have been very remiss lately by not forwarding on the many excellent birding sightings occurring within the Sandover River region of central Australia, approximately 250km north-east of Alice Springs. Things have dried out substantially after excellent rains in late April and many birds have been recorded breeding since that time.

Just this last week my work partner and I were spraying weeds along the Sandover, in a property named Waite Creek, managed by a guy named Allan Coppock. I think he may be Alex Coppock's brother, of Newhaven and Night Parrot fame. Aland too is interested in birds and is eager to share his experiences whenever we visit. Vast expanses of riparian strip were searched. Over the five days some of the better sightings obtained were of a group of six Tawny Frogmouth and another instance of a fledgling frogmouth hiding in the hollow of a fallen red gum limb, several boobook, including three fledglings, a Little Eagle, three Black-breasted Buzzard -nesting in the area and numerous hobbies. Bush Stone-curlew were heard during the night, whilt there must have been no less than 25 Pink Cockatoos on the property. Other species included a small number of Red-browed Pardalote, numerous Sacred Kingfisher, which appear to have displaced the previoulsy numerous Red-backed Kingfisher, Diamond Dove, a male Hooded Robin, Western Gerygone and a Banded Lapwing.

Numbers of Rufous Whistlers have dropped off a bit now that the temperature is regularly reaching 40, likewise that of the Crested Bellbird and Grey Shrike-thrush. Red-tailed Black-cockatoos are reasonably common, whilst many other species typical to the region and "desert" are regularly seen and heard.

Unfortunately, like many so many before me, I have dipped-out on the Grey Falcon. The habitat in which we work is hardly ideal though. Did manage to pick up the Grey Honeyeater in the mulga woodland south-west of Kunoth Well though, amazingly, considering the search was conducted on a windy, 38 degree day. Not much of a window for ideal birdwatching conditions up here.

I would like to put together a more extensive report on my Central Australian birdwatching experiences some time soon.

All the best,
Michael

Please note the new CLMA staff email addresses:

Peter Barker & Michael Wood, Weeds Project:
Andrea Johnson, CLMA Coordinator:
Dionne Walsh, EMS Project:
Joanne Rodney, GLM Project: