birding-aus

Freckled Duck at Seaford Swamp

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Freckled Duck at Seaford Swamp
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:04:54 +1100
G'day all,

I have been birding at Seaford Swamp (near Frankston, Victoria) for twenty-five years now and have never seen Freckled Duck. It has been recorded before on nearby wetlands such as Edithvale, Braeside and the Eastern Treatment Planty at Bangholme, but never at Seaford.

This morning I was to join Birds Australia's Chris Tzaros for our monthly bird census for Melbourne Water and was about ten minutes late. By the time I had got there Chris had found a Freckled Duck on the lagoon immediately opposite the viewing platform off Austin Road. Twenty-five years of looking and I'm beaten to the punch by a matter of minutes!

It was a great bird, though it spent a lot of time hiding in the fringing reedbeds. When we came back to the spot at the end of our survey four and a half hours later (its an extensive area) we couldn't locate the bird again.

60 species were recorded on the census, good sightings being: nesting White-faced Heron, Rainbow Lorikeet and possibly Asutralian Hobby, 9 Blue-billed Ducks, a large flock of Whiskered Tern and only the third record for the swamp of Sacred Kingfisher.

But the Freckled Duck really took the cake.