birding-aus

unnamed observer unmasked

Subject: unnamed observer unmasked
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:38:10 +1000
Hi Shane,
      It sounds like you have been outed. I hope your wife understands ?
Only kidding.
But seriously, Alan Morris and Birding-aus do have a point. I have avoided
this thread because I believe people like yourself also have a point.
Why can't u add to the "info sharing" without having to expose your details
to the net and the archives poachers?

The question would be - do we post "sighting info" to Alan (in NSW) or NSW
Birdline on one e-mail address and receive Birding-Aus info on our
incognito e-mail address ?

I don't wish more work on Alan or his interstate colleagues, but lets
understand the processes.

1. Do we have a person in each state who is willing to receive all info and
pass on to B-aus, while deleting the paper trail. (I'm not putting my hand
up)

2. Can B-aus receive all e-mails and post, while deleting paper trail ( I
doubt it )

3. Have we heard enough of this thread to understand and leave it at Status
Quo. ( the joy of a Democracy )

Maybe if u need to remain anonymous, u should post to a trusted friend who
will then forward to B-aus with your validation.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Simon Hayes

                      Sent by:                            To:

                                cc:

                      cnet.net.au                         Subject:
[BIRDING-AUS] unnamed observer unmasked

                      10/11/04 18:47

hi all
please excuse my breach of forum etiquette - i must have joined after the
last edict on pseudonyms. it's ruffled quite a few feathers out there,
unintentionally so.
the reasons i chose to remain anonymous were: this is the first online
forum i have joined and i have had serious computer security issues in the
past. both made me justifiably wary about disclosing my details straight
up.
i am a paid-up member of birds aust and in my one-to-one contacts with
pleasant and accommodating bird-aussers, i have been quite happy to reveal
my full ID and contact details.
i enjoy being part of this online community and try to make a positive
contribution where possible.
the postings here vary widely from the highbrow to the frivolous and no one
is compelled to read them all. that's freedom of speech for you.
but a great deal of useful info is exchanged and, as someone planning an
around australia birding safari next year (and to atlas and volunteer in as
many BA projects as possible), i am very grateful for it.
proprietorial "trolls" turned me off birding as a young and enthusiastic
lad over 20 years ago. thankfully i never lost my love of birds (nor all
the books), which has spread to my wife.
in light of the recent debate about birder numbers, i say the more the
merrier. we should try to be inclusive and encourage as many people as
possible to take an interest in our precious and fragile wildlife and
environment. raising awareness about issues such as the plight of our
wetlands and the victorian toxic dump can only help.
birding is not an exact science but reliant on a certain code of honour
which the great majority observe. beginners - even lapsed twitchers - need
support and encouragement, not to be dismissed as nuisances or hoaxers.
yours, for the record
shane brady
to be known hereon as shane b, if that's ok ;)
vaucluse

there, i've done it