birding-aus

Are White-throated Needletails noisy or quiet?

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Are White-throated Needletails noisy or quiet?
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:33:45 +1100
Just responding to what Laurie wrote:

-----Original Message-----From: Philip A. Veerman <>To: knightl <> Date: Tuesday, 9 November 2004 22:54
Subject: What is Australia's Noisiest and Quietest Bird?

Quite apart from the sound of their flight, they (White-throated Needletails) also are quite vocal when doing chasing displays. They emit a high-pitched rapid twitter. Probably most of the time they are too far away to hear. I published a note about this "Chasing and Vocalisation by White-throated Needletails" in Canberra Bird Notes, 13(4):130-131 (1988) and I think (but am not sure) that was included in HANZAB.

Philip