birding-aus

loud calls

To: Lorne Johnson <>
Subject: loud calls
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:23:18 +1000
Thanks Lorne, for restoring my faith in birding-aussers.  I was beginning to
think that no-one was going to give the lyrebirds a run.

However, I'm inclined to rate the Albert's as even louder than the Superb.
Early morning with still air, and I heard one quite clearly at a measured
map distance of one and a half kilometres.  This was at O'Reilly's in
Lamington N. P.  I was down the old West Cliff track, and the lyrebird was
down the Wishing Tree track. Because of the absence of suitable habitat
towards me, he could not have been closer.

On a decibels per ounce basis, one of the two Scrubbirds would surely take
the prize.

Cheers

Syd