birding-aus

Rare birds at Broome

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Rare birds at Broome
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:05:03 -0800

On Monday 1 November, George Swann and Mark Taylor saw a Ruff at Taylor's Lake, a Pectoral Sandpiper at Lake Campion & a Little Ringed Plover at the Sewage Works. The LRP had been there intermittently since discovered by Adrian Boyle on the about the 24 October.

On the same day on my way to catch my plane returning home from the Ashmore Reef trip, I saw what I THINK may be a [Little Grebe Tachybaptus ruficollis] at the Sewage Works. It was on the lagoon nearest the gate. I viewed it briefly from a distance outside the fence with a telescope through a heat haze. The whole of the side of the head including the cheeks was red which would be wrong for Australian Grebe. But it had a yellow not red eye as confirmed later by George Swann. This does not necessarily disqualify the potential ID as birds from some areas have yellow eyes, (Japan & perhaps the Greater Sundas e.g.). I ask that locals keep an eye on this bird, resolve its identity and advise.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136