birding-aus

Birdline NSW - a reminder

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW - a reminder
From: "Murray Lord" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:01:19 +1100
As of a couple of months ago Rod Gardner and Murray Lord have been looking after Birdline NSW, and this message is to remind people of its existence and encourage more people to use it.  Birdline NSW is a telephone answering machine updated weekly (usually on a Sunday evening) with recent records of birds in New South Wales.  It is paid for by the various Sydney bird clubs.

The number is (02) 9439 9536.  A call to it costs the same as a normal telephone call.

Sightings put on birdline are obtained from records left on the answering machine or submitted to Alan Morris.  Also, whilst neither of us normally subscribe to birding-aus we try to check the latest postings on one of the web pages regularly.  If leaving sightings on the tape please leave your name, the date and location as well as details of the bird.  Where appropriate please spell any difficult location names, and for rarer birds a contact number would be appreciated.

Deciding which sightings to put on the tape each week is always a bit subjective.  We try to emphasise species that are likely to be able to be relocated, or to highlight if particular areas are unusually productive, even if the species being seen may not be particularly rare.  We are the first to admit that a particular bird may make it onto the tape one week but not the next.  Nevertheless please remember that all sightings submitted to Birdline NSW (whether used on the tape or not) are passed on to Alan Morris for consideration for the New South Wales Bird Report.

If anyone wants to submit sightings by email, then can do so by emailing BOTH of us at the addresses below.  However please remember that we may update the tape on a Sunday not having seen email since the Friday, so a telephone report is better for rare birds.   Whilst we don't want to commit to doubling our workload at this stage by sending out an email version of Birdline, if anything particularly rare is reported it will be passed on to birding-aus.

Rod Gardner (rod.gardner [at] unsw.edu.au)
Murray Lord (mklord [at] trump.net.au)