birding-aus

Prospect Reservoir, Sydney NSW 31st October 2004

To: <>
Subject: Prospect Reservoir, Sydney NSW 31st October 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:06:13 +1100

I spent a few hours in my local patch this morning, Sunday 31st October 2004 at Prospect Reservoir (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD near Blacktown).

The Forest Red Gums (Eucalyptus Territicornis) were in good flower around the reservoir attracting a fair number of honeyeaters including lots of Scarlet, Brown-headed and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. There’s been good flowering activity throughout this year at Prospect. Other bush birds seen included a Grey Goshawk showing very well, Bar-shouldered Doves, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Sacred Kingfishers, White-winged Trillers, Crested Shrike-tits (performing great for Camera), lots of Rufous Whistlers, Variegated Wrens, Weebills, White-throated Gerygones, Olive-backed Orioles and Dusky Woodswallows. At one time I did my squeaking thing (a recommended technique to bring birds close to the camera) and I had all at the same time beautiful male Scarlet Honeyeaters, a male Mistletoebird, Rufous Whistlers, Striated Thornbills and Grey Fantails a metre above my head.

Amongst the waterbirds I had all 3 species of Grebe including a single raft of 27 Hoary-headed Grebes and 140 plus Great Crested Grebes, Hardheads, 6 Pied Stilts and 11 Whiskered Terns (with many of the later in nice breeding plumage).

The resident pair of adult White-bellied Sea-eagles was also nesting this morning. One of the adults was on the nest and the other on guard. There were also 5 Whistling Kites nearby.

Other animals seen included a Eastern Bearded Dragon, Macquarie Short-necked Turtles (Emydura signata dharuk), 2 European Hares and lots of European Carps mating amongst the reservoir shores. Both Dwarf Green Tree Frogs (Litoria fallax) and Common Eastern Froglets (Crinia signifera) were also calling around the reservoir.

Another good morning at the reservoir!

Edwin Vella