birding-aus

"Flock Pigeons"

To: Judith L-A <>
Subject: "Flock Pigeons"
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:01:22 +1000

I suspect that we have the perennial problem of name usage here.

Using Christidis and Boles (C&B) The Taxonomy and Species of Birds of Australia and its Territories as an accepted reference for names, I suspect that we have the following:

Your observer is familiar with Topknot Pigeons but the Topknot Pigeons with which he is familiar are probably Crested Pigeons Ocyphaps lophotes (see C&B). Hence his vehement denial that these Topknot Pigeons are Topknot (Crested) Pigeons...................because they are not Crested Pigeons. They are Topknot Pigeons Lopholaimus antarcticus a large pigeon / dove of coastal rainforests and wet schlerophyll forests.

Flock (pigeons) Bronzewings Phaps histrionica are birds of the Mitchell Grass plains, and other habitats a long way to the west of Mount Mee and are not to my knowledge migratory, a term that implies a regularity of travel such as found in the birds that your observer describes.

Just to confuse the issue Topknot Pigeons have Flock Pigeon as an alternative name (see Pizzey & Knight).

So to sum  up:

Crested Pigeons are often called Topknot Pigeons and Topknot Pigeons are sometimes called Flock Pigeons.

All as clear as mud and perhaps indicative of a need for care in naming birds.

Andy

Thanks, Robyn and Brian. No, this observer (Mt Me, SEQ) is familiar with Topknot Pigeons and states vehemently that these are not they. It's worth noting that, having studied entomology at university, his 'eye' can be taken to be good. Here, for those who wish to puzzle over them, are his observations of these large flocks which have passed over Mt Mee (SEQ) approximately once a year from July 1998 to October 2004:

- biggish, dark birds (moderately larger than topknot)
- plumpish
- big flocks of 50+
- deadly silent in steady flight
- no gliding or 'shooting' - constant wing-flapping
- fly swiftly
- flock wheels away on sighting observer
- often mid-afternoon or later
- occasionally/rarely feed on the ground
- definitely a dove or pigeon
- definitely not topknots

Thanks to you all for your forbearance!
Judith.