birding-aus

Spring migrants and the Capertee Valley

Subject: Spring migrants and the Capertee Valley
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:28:50 +1000

I was in the Capertee Valley last Friday and on Saturday (the latter with a largeish group of birders in tow).

On Friday I saw my first White-winged Triller, Sacred Kingfisher and White-browed Woodswallow for the season in the valley.  Bee-eaters were everywhere and a number were already busy tunnelling.

Other interesting sightings included a pair of very vocal Diamond Doves.  On Saturday we saw Turquoise Parrots and White-backed Swallows at several locations, the latter tunnelling in a sandy bank at one location, as well as plenty of Plum-headed Finch and Budgerigars on one property.

The number of Regent Honeyeaters along the river seems to be declining.  This may be as a result of the mistletoe in which they are largely dependant at this time of year not having much of a nectar flow, a consequence of the continued very dry conditions.  Yellow Box is coming into flower across the valley and one pair was located nesting in association with this tree.

If you are in the valley areas with flowering are certainly worth searching. Please report all sightings of Regent Honeyeaters.  It is imperative that we keep track of these birds and their nesting efforts.  After three failed breeding seasons we are hoping that they can get a few young out of the nest this year.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382