birding-aus

Eastern suburbs bird list

To: "birding-aus, birding-aus" <>
Subject: Eastern suburbs bird list
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:00:22 +1000

I'm compiling a (briefly annotated) list of the
birds of Sydney's eastern suburbs at the moment,
which is near completion. The eastern suburbs
are, for this list, the council areas of
Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and Botany, which
lie east of the CBD between the south side of
Sydney Harbour and the north shore of Botany Bay.
In the western part, it includes Centennial Park
and the Botany wetlands (including Eastlake Golf
Course) and part of the airport, but not the
Cooks River estuary.

Before I offer this list to anyone interested,
I'd like to check if anyone has seen any of the
following species in the area, which are, some
perhaps surprisingly, currently missing:

Singing Bushlark, robins apart from Eastern
Yellow and Rose, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike,
Variegated Fairy-wren, Scarlet Honeyeater,
Striated Pardalote,  Little Lorikeet, Beautiful
Firetail.

If you've seen any of these, I'd love to know the
date and location. Also if anyone has records of
rarities, I'd be interested in those too.

Currently the list stands at 306 (including
introduced species, but excluding escapes and
some dubious records). This was quite a lot
higher than I expected, and includes some extreme
rarities.

I'll post something when the list is ready.

Rod Gardner
--
Dr Rod Gardner
Senior Lecturer