birding-aus

NW NSW and SW Queensland, Aug-Sep 2004

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: NW NSW and SW Queensland, Aug-Sep 2004
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:11:56 +1000
In late August, I drove from Melbourne to Broken Hill, Tibooburra,
Thargomindah, Eulo, Cunnamulla and Nyngan.  I had six new species that I
wished to see, namely Grey Grasswren, Gibberbird and Flock Bronzewing near
Tibooburra and Spotted Bowerbird, Hall's Babbler and Chestnut-breasted
Quailthrush in SW Queensland.

On the way up, I stopped at the Thomas & Thomas Striated Grasswren site near
the south end of the Nowingi Track in Hattah Kulkyne NP in Victoria and saw
one bird after only a short time.  This was my fourth attempt at this site.

>From Tibooburra, I drove to the T & T Grasswren site on Pyampa Station on
three mornings and did not even hear the bird.  I went to South Myers Tank
and waited for the Flock Bronzewings on three evenings and looked closely
for Gibberbirds on the stony roads (which caused two tyre punctures), but
saw neither.  After the last visit to Pyampa, I continued on the "back" road
to Thargomindah, via Bulloo Downs.  During the approx. 300 km trip I saw no
other car and had the second puncture half way.  There were only about 3
cattle stations on the way, about 80 km apart and next time I will remember
to take a second spare tyre.

When I was safely on the bitumen again at Eulo, it rained, causing floods in
Broken Hill and closing all roads into Tibooburra.

Things were better in SW Queensland and I saw Spotted Bowerbird at Carpet
Springs and Bowra Stations.  I saw only one Chestnut-breasted Quailthrush at
Bowra, but the Babblers were much easier, also at Bowra.  I looked for
Quailthrush at the T & T site, 3.5 km east of Nine Mile (Eulo) Bore and in
retrospect, may have heard them.

Other interesting birds seen on the 10-day trip were lots of Australian
Pratincoles, Spotted Harrier, Budgerigars, Bustards, Major Mitchell's
Cockatoos, Brolgas, Plum-headed Finch, Orange and Crimson Chats, Plumed
Whistling Ducks and Black Honeyeaters.  I also dipped on the Painted
Honeyeater and Redthroat at Bowra.

My thanks go to Thomas & Thomas, Richard Johnstone, Birding Aus reports by
Alan Morris, Trevor and Ann Quested, Carl Corden, John & Ruth Walter, Grev
Reidy, Chris Lester, Jill Dening, Allan Benson, Julie at Bowra, Ross Betts
at Onepah and David & Ann at Carpet Springs.

I have a more detailed MSWord report document with some GPS readings, mostly
at Bowra, if anybody is interested.