birding-aus

There and Back Again-Toronto to Cape York-Trip Report 1

Subject: There and Back Again-Toronto to Cape York-Trip Report 1
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:10:59 +1000
There and Back Again- Toronto to Cape York- Trip Report 1

Hello all,

Between May and August this year I took the opportunity to go on a trip up to Cape York stopping at many places along the way up and back. I was keen to increase the size of my library of photographs particularly of species that I knew well when I worked up north between 1998 and 2000. In time, I intend getting a select few of my photos on to a website that I have been toying around with for about 12 months but never seem to finish!

Because we're talking about 4 months of birdwatching I'll break the report up into bite-sized chunks. Some of the records are obviously a bit old but they might still be of interest to some. Apart from the first 5 or 6 locations all of these locations in Part 1 are in North Queensland, mostly Atherton Tabeland.

PART 1

Toronto (Lake Macquarie)        2/5/04
Gang-gang Cockatoo (6)
Boonoo Boonoo NP (Boonoo Falls Rd), north of Tenterfield   3/5/04
Spotted Quail-thrush
Great Sandy NP (Inskip Point)     4/5/04
Black-breasted Buttonqail (3 and 2)
Marmor (Fish Reserve)   5/5/04
Bush-hen, Black-necked Stork, Brown Songlark
Alligator Creek (2 km N. Sarina)   5/5/04
Brolga
Crystal Brook (10 km W. Proserpine)   6/5/04
Gould's Bronze-cuckoo, Pacific Baza, White-gaped Honeyeater, Great Bowerbird, Olive-backed Sunbird (nest-building on flyscreen mesh on window).
Tolga, 4 km N.
Bustard (3), Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (1000+)
Lake Eacham NP 8/5
Grey Goshawk
Atherton (Links Rd) 8/5/04
Bush Stone-curlew (30+)
Baldy Mountain SF 9/5/2004
Satin Bowerbird, Golden Bowerbird, Tooth-billed Bowerbird, Bower's Shrikethrush, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Large-billed Scrubwren, Atherton Scrubwren, Mountain Thornbill.
Granite Gorge (west of Mareeba) 10/5/04
Mareeba Rock-wallaby, Pacific Baza (3)
Hypipamee NP (The Crater) 11/5/04
Cassowary (1), Grey Goshawk, Boyd's Forest Dragon
Longlands Gap SF 11/5/04
Golden Bowerbird (2), Bridled Honeyeater.
Atherton Cemetery 11/5/04
Bush Stone-curlew
Yungaburra
Platypus
Lake Eacham NP 11/5/04
Grey-headed Robin, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Victoria's Riflebird, Red-legged Pademelon.
Curtain Fig NP 11/5/04
Rufous Owl, Lesser Sooty Owl, Green Ringtail Possum, Coppery Brushtail Possum, Common Brushtail Possum, Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo (unfortunately missed by me!)
Yungaburra 11/5/04
Large-tailed Nightjar, Green Ringtail Possum, Coppery Brushtail Possum,
Lake Barrine 13/5/04
Musky Rat-kangaroo, Great Crested Grebe (19), Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Victoria's Riflebird, Fernwren, Macleay's Honeyeater, Chowchilla (a pair observed bathing at the edge of the lake), Azure Kingfisher. Ulysses and Cairns Birdwing Butterflies, sunbirds and an assortment of honeyeaters were enjoying the exotic flowers in the picnic area.
Wooroonoora NP (Henrietta Creek Camping Area) 14/5/04
Victoria's Riflebird
Wooroonoora NP (Tchupalla Falls) 14/5/04
Black Butcherbird
Etty Bay Rd 14/5/04
Cassowary (3, male and two young'uns)
Etty Bay 14/5/04
Cassowary (2, separate individuals), Metallic Starling,
Great Barrier Reef (Yamacutta Cay off Mission Beach) 15/5/04
Lesser Frigatebird, Brown Booby, Lesser Crested Tern, Black-naped Tern, Great Crested Tern and 3 species of clownfish!
Great Barrier Reef (Taylor's Cay off Mission Beach) 15/5/04
Brown Booby (100), Masked Booby (1), Common Noddy (1), Black-naped Tern
Liverpool Creek (near Silverwood, approximately behind Innisfail) 16/5/04
Victoria's Riflebird, Wompoo Fruitdove, Double-eyed Fig Parrot, Striped Possum.
Palmerston Highway (2.2 km N. Fisher's Creek) 16/5/04
Lesser Sooty Owl (roadkill)
Mount Emerald 17/5/04
gecko (Oedura rhombifer)
Kuranda SF (Clohesy River Fig Tree) 18/5/04
Southern Boobook (race lurida)
Wrights Lookout (Barron Falls) 18/5/04
Lovely Fairywren
Kuranda 18/5/04
Victoria's Riflebird, Cassowary (4, male with 3 young-uns), Musky Rat-kangaroo, Wompoo Pigeon, Red-necked Crake, Barred Cuckoo-shrike, Macleay's Honeyeater.
Danbulla SF (Mt Edith) 19/5/04
Grey Goshawk (white), Musky Rat-kangaroo, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Golden Bowerbird
Danbulla SF ( at Lake Tinaroo end of Mt Edith Rd) 19/5/04
Rufous Owl (calling at 1710 hours), Chowchilla, Fernwren.
Lake Tinaroo 19/5/04
Bush Stone-curlew (3, including 2 adults and a juvenile), Great Crested Grebe, Brown Quail, Mareeba Rock-wallaby, White-throated Nightjar
Atherton 20/5/04
Buff-banded Rail
Atherton (Links Rd) 20/5/04
Bush Stone-curlew (40)
Lake Eacham 20/5/04
Victoria's Riflebird (4), Macleay's Honeyeater, Red-legged Pademelon, Bridled Honeyeater, Grey Goshawk, Spotted Catbird, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Atherton Scrubwren, Wompoo Fruitdove.
Atherton 22/5/04
Barking Owl, Barn Owl
Lake Eacham 24/5/04
Bower's Shrike-thrush
Lake Tinaroo (Kauri Creek Camping Area and walking track) 27/5/04
Buff-banded Rail (2), Large-billed Gerygone (nesting), Great Crested Grebe, Fernwren (2), Victoria's Riflebird, Pied Monarch (2), White-eared Monarch, Chowchilla
Lake Tinaroo 27/5/04
Bush Stone-curlew (3, including 2 adults and a juvenile still doing well), Little Bronze-cuckoo.
Cairns Crocodile Farm (Edmonton) 28/5/04
Crimson Finch (black-bellied), Leaden Flycatcher
Atherton 30/5/04
Barred Cuckoo-shrike (5), Spangled Drongo