birding-aus

What bird is this? Yallingup W.A.

To: "birding aus" <>, <>
Subject: What bird is this? Yallingup W.A.
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 18:59:05 +0800
My parents went down to Yallingup last week and found a bird in the carpark at Smith's Beach near Canal Rocks.

They told me on the phone that it was an albatross but after seeing the photos I'm not so sure.  I think it could be a petrel or a skua.

Apparently its wing was injured and they called someone to take care of it so it's in good hands.  Mum thinks it might be a juvenille because it had downy feathers on its chest.

Photos of the bird can be found in this directory - http://members.iinet.net.au/~daycare/belinda/pelagic/

Can anyone positively I.D. this poor birdie?

Belinda

---