birding-aus

Warriewood Wetlands - Sunday 5 Sept

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetlands - Sunday 5 Sept
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:16:03 +1000
As it was Fathers' Day, I was allowed the privilege of selecting a venue for
a walk this morning with my family - we went to Warriewood Wetlands in
Sydney's northern beaches suburbs.  We walked all the way from the wetlands
up to the small waterfall in Irrawong Reserve.  The wetlands themselves have
a reasonable amount of water and mud on them, so on a quieter day in the
next few weeks may well be attractive to returning Japanese Snipe.  I
scanned the grassy margins carefully but no luck - no other summer migrants
in the Swamp Mahogany woodland either that I could hear or see.  However,
there was a late winter migrant (or two?) in the form of an immature
Spangled Drongo - it had the racket tail but the head and eye were dullish
rather than glossy with the red eye as one would expect.  I reckon there
were two, but couldn't seem to pin both birds down at the same time, so I
can't be sure on that.

I also saw a small group of Varied Sitellas, plenty of Eastern Whipbirds
showing well, a Fan Tailed Cuckoo and one of the local Brown Goshawks and
heard what I think was a Lewins Rail calling.  However, best sighting was a
good specimen of a Red Bellied Black Snake sunning itself below the
boardwalk section of Irrawong Reserve, which meant that my family could have
a good look at a live snake (and the snake was certainly having a good look
at us without feeling threatened).
Cheers
Tom Wilson