birding-aus

Re: Rain expected

To: Tim Murphy <>
Subject: Re: Rain expected
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:04:38 +1000
On 18/08/2004, at 11:08 AM, Tim Murphy wrote:
We are having the fist decent rain in months in Brisbane. I noticed to special bird activity before the rain and not much now.

We had three spots up here in Beerwah (70km to your north), Tim. Interestingly, for all the talk about birds being the prophets of rain, I would prefer to rely on the frogs. Yesterday afternoon I heard an Eastern Sedge Frog croak in the garden, when there wasn't the slightest hint of rain to me. I thought to myself that the frog was a shingle short if he thought it was going to rain. Not so, husband James came home from the golf course an hour later saying that they had had a short, sharp shower while he was playing, about 3km away. And today we got our three spots at home. So the frog was right.
Cheers,
Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland