birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater Survey

To: <>, "David Geering" <>, <>, "Tim Morris" <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater Survey
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:50:57 +1000
Hi Birders,

I did a bit of a check of my old haunts in Central west NSW looking for
Regent Honeyeaters & Swift Parrots over the weekends, with surveys at Canyon
Camp & Camp Pincham in the Warrumbungles NP where both Narrow-leafed
Ironbark, White Box and Yellow Box was in flower; east of Coonabarabran
where White Box was in flower; Beni Crossing on the Castlereah River near
Mendooran and Buckeroo & Cooyal near Mudgee where nothing was flowering;
several sites in Mungorn Gap NR and south of Wollar on the Mudgee Road, and
at Murumbo Gap where White Box was flowering at all sites but I saw no
Regents or Swifties at these locations. There were however plenty of
Friarbirds (x2), White-naped, Fuscous, Yellow-faced & Yellow-tufted
Honeyeaters and Little Lorikeets at all sites, all indicators that the two
target species could be present.

However at the site mentioned last week by David Geering, 4.5 km east of
Wollar on the Sandy Hollow Road, Anne & stopped to make a search below the
power stanchions and above the railway tunnel (where there is a good place
to pull over). Here amongst the flowering White Box, I managed to find 3-4
Regent Honeyeaters hawking for insects and feeding in White Box blossoms on
7/8/04. On my return trip on 9/8/04 I saw two birds. None of these birds
were colour-banded. This was a good site for Threatened Species! Not only
was there some Regents, but also Diamond Firetails, Black-chinned
Honeyeaters, Turquoise Parrots, Speckeld Warblers and Brown Treecreepers!

Yesterday I was at Quorrobolong on private property where members of  the
Central Coast Group of Birding NSW make regular visitors and which has been
a good site for Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots in some years like
2003. A visit 10 days ago found none of the target species, but yesterday,
we heard and found one Regent Honeyeater, in the same clump of 5
stringybarks that attracted the Regent Honeyeaters in 2003!

Good Hunting

Alan Morris