birding-aus

Eyrean Grasswrens without 4WD

To: "BIRDING_AUS" <>
Subject: Eyrean Grasswrens without 4WD
From: "David Harper" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:38:37 +0930
G'day,

Just a short note that may be of interest to those that want to look for Eyrean Grasswrens and don't have a 4WD. I've noticed from several recent postings to Birding-aus that a lot of people look for Eyreans near Cameron's Corner. The other popular spot used to be Koonchera dune on Clifton Hills station in S.A. which is apparently now off limits. I have seen a pair of Eyrean Grasswrens  three times in as many visits at Big Red, the large sand dune on the edge of the Simpson Desert west of Birdsville. This would have to be the most accessible spot that I know of. Not many people make it to Birdsville without visiting Big Red. The birds can be found within a 50m by 300m strip 100m to the left of the track that traverses the dune as you approach from Birdsville, on the basal third of the dune itself in mixed Spinifex, Canegrass and open Senna shrubs. It is quite possible to drive to Birdsville in a conventional vehicle and if you can get this far the extra 30km's or so to the dune itself would not be a problem. Make sure you check road conditions with the relevant road traffic authorities before setting out. Early morning or late afternoon would be best with little or no wind. Hope you all see them.

Cheers
David Harper