birding-aus

Bush hens in winter

To: <>
Subject: Bush hens in winter
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:19:50 +1000
Hi folks,
Just a follow up in agrrement with Keith, Lindsay and Alan about the
presence of Bush-hens in winter.My only definite winter record was a road
kill near Silky Oaks Lodge close to Mossman on 8th August 1998.
    When the Bush-hens arrived mid-November last year where I reside at
Julatten the local Buff-banded Rails immediately vacated their breeding area
even though they had mated. It also happened the previous year.
    The Bush-hens call throughout the night upon arrival and seem to
continue to do so until their chicks are well and truely mobile, then they
are not heard until the next Wet Season.It seems that some may have favoured
areas ideal enough to overstay the winter.
    Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ
(www.finefeathertours.com.au)