birding-aus

Sterna vittalus and Sterna frontalis...any suggestions on what these ter

To: <>
Subject: Sterna vittalus and Sterna frontalis...any suggestions on what these terns may be?
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:37:08 +1000
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? I'm in the process of following
up records of Macquarie Island birds.
White-fronted Tern is listed as having been recorded from Macquarie Island but
I can't find any primary source. I suspect it comes from a list compiled by T.
V. Hodgson during a visit to Macquarie Island on the Vessel "Discovery" (R
Scott was the Captain) on 22 Nov 1901. The only tern included in the list is
"Sterna vittalus or frontalis". I've done a quick Google search, flicked
through HANZAB and checked John Penhallurick's site (http://worldbirdinfo.net/)
and can not find either name as a synonym.

I reckon S. vittalus is Antarctic Tern (S. vittata) and S. frontalis is most
logically White-fronted Tern (S. striata) given its common name and known
presence in nearby NZ at the time. If anyone can suggest any other potential
species that these latin names may be referring to I'd be most interested.

Many thanks
Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke
Threatened Mallee Bird Project