birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:28:31 +1000 (EST)
SMTPSVC;
         Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:03:55 -0700
From: "John Leonard" <>
Subject: Human diet and Bird Habitats
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:03:55 +0000

Vicki's original positing and John's reponse point to the fact that it
is
the scale, not the type, of human activity that impacts on wildlife, and
ultimately on ourselves.

While the Earth can support people indefinitely, it can't support large
numbers of people, especially people with very greedy and wasteful
habits.

In other words level of comsumption and level of popualtion are the
problem.
And surely the best of worlds would be one with a small number of people
living well, rathert than a large number living miserably and
unsustainably,
as at present.

So whenever foolish politicians and businesspeople tell us we should
'populate or perish', let them know it's obvious that if we populate we
perish, and that the smaller the population of Australia, or anywhere,
the
better the quality of life.

John L

John Leonard (Dr)