birding-aus

Re; Laurie Knights posting on Pterodromas.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re; Laurie Knights posting on Pterodromas.
From: knightl <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:56:51 +1000
Well to respond to your main concern, Paul, I didn't ask any questions on the boat because the questions didn't occur to me until I got home
and looked at the pictures.  As you will recall, the birds were a bit
stand-offish and didn't settle on the slick to provide nice close-up,
'live' views.

I find it useful to examine photos from field trips, and the bird that piqued my interest was very pale in the body - off-white with brown flecks. I could see that this colouration was not simply an artefact of the light as the white of the face and brown of the head were as
expected, and the off-white was apparent on both the shaded and
unshaded portions of the belly. This was considerably lighter than any illustrations I came across, including HANZAB's drawing of a Providence Petrel in worn plumage [that I was subsequently able to access].

Yes, you did respond to my initial post to the effect that "all those
shots are of stock standard Providence Petrels, which are now strating to show varying degrees of plumage wear".

My approach when dealing with conflicting opinions [treating field
guide drawings as opinions] is to seek information from multiple
sources [I don't regard any individual source as being infallible]. So I invited comment from a dozen or so people, a process that is normal
practice for me.

Yes, the four people experienced enough to make a call [including
yourself] all said "Providence", and those who weren't experienced had something to look and discuss, which is useful for their birding development. Two of the other experienced respondents also provided a range of helpful pointers in relation to body and wing shape, underwing pattern, colour pattern of the belly feathers and colour of museum
specimens etc.  [I suspect that the people who draw the illustrations
of seabirds aren't looking at them in lighting conditions that exist
over water].  In addition, in relation to the underparts HANZAB notes
that "With extreme feather wear, concealed white bases sometimes
revealed".

So I can now see how a bird that has underbody plumage more inline with the drawings of a Herald Petrel [in both the field guides and HANZAB] can in fact be a Providence Petrel. I don't perceive this process of puzzle-solving as "being in a bind".

As for the pterodroma comment, yes, what I would have said if I was
being more precise was that the white chin, forehead and lores made it obvious that the bird was a pterodroma. One thing I noticed in my
literary travels is that pterodromas seem to be the only "brown
seabirds" with that pattern of white on their faces.

I hope that resolves the issues in relation to my posting, and am happy to forward the pictures of the petrels in question to anyone who is
interested having a gander at worn petrel plumages.

Regards, Laurie.