birding-aus

Heathcote Trail

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Heathcote Trail
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:41:41 +1000
Hi All

I'm sending this again as the previous didn't come through for some reason.
Sorry if you get a duplication.

I went birding on the Heathcote - Uloola Falls trail this morning, via
Karloo Pool. I didn't go all the way to Uloola Falls, as I had other
engagements, but this would have to be one of the most beautiful walks along
sandstone country in the Royal National Park. I haven't walked this trail
since the 1980's, having concentrated on trails nearer the coast since then.
A number of birders had remarked to me that Rockwarblers no longer frequent
the area since the 1994 fire devastation and I must admit that I was
somewhat eager to test that claim. I'd also hoped to catch up to some
Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters which were reported as being on the trail a couple
of months ago on this list.

I proceeded through an area which I felt was a little slow on regeneration
for the first few hundred meters, but gradually the trail showed increasing
signs of a return to normality. The bush was alive with Eastern Spinebills,
New-Holland Honeyeaters, Little Wattlebirds, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and
the odd Noisy Miner, Red Wattlebird and Rainbow Lorikeet, all taking
advantage of the flowering Eucalypts (haemastoma and paniculata - some
piperita appeared to be flowering early too) as well as the Banksias
(ericafolia, spinulosa, integrifolia), Hakeas, Leptosperms, Acacia and
lovely red Grevilleas (speciosa). Also abundant were Brown and to a lesser
extent Striated Thornbills. Decorating the sides of the trail were the usual
supply of White-browed Scrubwrens and Superb Fairy-wrens (all still in
eclipse plumage in these parts). Spotted Pardalotes were really active and
abundant, providing plenty of delight as they foraged much lower than usual
and approached me quite fearlessly, as they do. One of these fellows flew up
from the side of the trail as I approached and I then realised that his
nesting hole was in the side of the trail about 10cm from my foot and no
higher than my ankle. The bank on the trail-side was not much higher. As I
crouched to make certain of my observation, the female emerged from the
burrow. I quickly moved on, not wishing to disturb their extremely
optimistic nesting activities but sadly noticed, as I did so, that on the
direct other side of the trail, about a meter away, a mountain bike tyre had
scrubbed down the side of the trail bank. I can't get the thought out of my
head that these small, beautiful and harmless fellows face the alarming
possibility of entombment in their nest hole due to the selfishness and
ignorance of some humans.

Also heard on the trail was a couple of White-eared Honeyeater calls, though
none were seen, nor were any of the Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters. I'm a little
surprised that they weren't there as they frequent very similar bush not far
away in the Heathcote National Park. Perhaps one of the prevalent species
excludes them. I know that YTH's generally dominate where they are found
but, unless my memory is faulty, I don't recall finding many Little
Wattlebirds sympatric to YTH's. Perhaps then the LW's exclude YTH's?

I am pleased to inform those who are lamenting the loss of Rockwarblers on
this trail that they should lament no more. I heard five individuals calling
at different locations on the trail side of the valley and several calls
coming from the hillside on the other side of the valley. I observed four
individuals as well, approaching one to within half a meter. These carefree
and amiable birds are certainly a pleasure to share a little time with as
they scamper about, swinging their body to and fro and making their little
"kissing" call while foraging. My advice to those who are having trouble
spotting these birds is to find a site where Rockwarblers frequent or visit
with someone familiar with their calls and spend some time learning those
calls. Rockwarblers then become much easier to find. Of course this is true
for all birds but somehow, when a Rockwarbler makes its unmistakable call,
it gradually asserts itself on your consciousness and then you find yourself
charging to the source of the call to catch a glimpse of these fellows.

Other delights of the day included reacquainting myself with the beautiful
Karloo Pool and Kangaroo Creek, coming face to face, almost literally, with
a Swamp Wallaby (who was as stunned as I was), plenty of wildflowers
blooming (Patersonia, Hibertia, etc.) and very frequently finding myself
amid mixed feeding flocks of small insectivores. All in all, a great stroll
in some charming bushland. Of course this trail is no secret, but I'd highly
recommend it to anybody who loves the Sydney bush and its feathered denizens
and is yet to savour its delights. It's a short, steep climb up from the
pool but nothing a regular walker would be concerned about.

Here's the list:

Brown Goshawk
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Galah
Rainbow Lorikeet
Crimson Rosella
Laughing Kookaburra
Superb Lyrebird (call only)
White-throated Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Spotted Pardalote
Rockwarbler
White-browed Scrubwren
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren
Striated Thornbill
Brown Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
Little Wattlebird
Noisy Miner
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-eared Honeyeater (call only)
New Holland Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Eastern Whipbird
Eastern Yellow Robin
Golden Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Grey Butcherbird
Pied Currawong
Australian Magpie
Red-browed Finch
Australian Raven
Satin Bowerbird

Short n sweet, but the abundance really was excellent, and all in about 4
hours.

Regards - Ricki