birding-aus

Pochard-(Goldeneye Head Colour Issue)-Iridescence

To: "Kevin Vang" <>, <>
Subject: Pochard-(Goldeneye Head Colour Issue)-Iridescence
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:11:25 +1000
The two Goldeneyes had very different head shape. Barrow's head was flatter and more pointed to the rear as well as having a white crescent in front of the eye, rather that a circle.. I found those much better field marks. After you had found a possible Barrow's the head color, if it could be seen - and the light was often too bad-  was a nice clincher. They are not too difficult for anyone with reasonable experience and I normally saw at least one a year when I lived in Western Canada.

The Pochard is much more difficult but most observers agree on a Greenish head color - I doubt if they all saw it in the same light..

Rgds Tim