birding-aus

Sulpher/Sulfer: my response to the responses.

To: <>
Subject: Sulpher/Sulfer: my response to the responses.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:32:49 +1000
Hi,
As Paul Taylor said: "Sulfur" is the US spelling of "sulphur".

I know that.
But.....even the 'American's' use the English spelling for their
"Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher"
(Myiodynastes luteiventris) according to my copy of the National Geographic
Society's Field Guide to
the Birds of North America.

It is quite obvious that spelling doesn't matter........to an increasing
percentage of the
population.
And, it *is* the information which we seek when we read such reports.
I am not asking for all reports to be totally free from spelling errors.
However, I have never seen "Sulfer-crested cockatoo" used in any field guide or
any other bird
publication and therefore see no reason to allow this instance to pass without
comment.

'Near enough is good enough' may be the general mantra of the modern society in
most things but I do
think it is sad to see that attitude being applied in the field of 'Information
Communication'.
I love words and I treasure their meaning; I am sure the world would be a
better place if we all
spoke proper!
I also realise I have made life more difficult for myself now because so many
people will be
seriously checking every one of the words in future postings from me.

I have had my say and Carl seems to have taken my criticism in good faith so I
will leave it there.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point