birding-aus

Spotting scope and tripod

To: "'Colin R'" <>, "'COLIN TRAINOR'" <>, <>
Subject: Spotting scope and tripod
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:27:25 +1000
Hi Colin,

I assume the Bushnell scope you saw is the one that Camera-House were
selling, if so the price was $299 not $200. I bought one in Penrith last
month and for the price I am quite pleased with it (being a disabled
pensioner, a Swarovski at 10 times the price was out of the question).

The scope came with a 15 - 45 * zoom eyepiece and a 25 * fixed eyepiece. The
whole came in a nice aluminium case and included a fabric case as well and a
mini-tripod which doubles as a car window clamp.

For the price the optics are excellent, focusing is by means of a knurled
knob on the scope body.

Camera-House advertised a straight through eyepiece in their brochure, but
the only one they had in stock was one with an angled eyepiece which is
easier on the back, but takes a bit of getting used to for sighting for
small items like birds.

I do not think this scope is feasible for those wanting to digi-scope
pictures as the eyepiece is small compared to a camera lens, I did manage a
few pictures, but not very good.

Details are on a U.S site at
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-spacemaster-15-45x50mm-collapsible-angl
ed-spotting-scope.html

Note that the prices in the U.S. are much cheaper than here.

Regards - Mike.