birding-aus

Sundown NP, Qld 2-4 July 04

Subject: Sundown NP, Qld 2-4 July 04
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:09:53 +1000
Sundown again?

Spent another lovely winter?s weekend at Sundown National Park (S Qld,
just inland from Stanthorpe, 300kms from Brisbane) (2-4 July 2004)
Campsite almost deserted, river virtually dry although small dams had
water and there were a few pools along the river bed. Most trees showing
some green growth and the grass, although brown and brittle, was knee
high and plentiful.
Turquoise parrots everywhere, now before you start pointing out they
couldn?t be ?everywhere, you know what I mean - flocks flying through
the campsite, the ranger?s fields always had them feeding in groups ?
they have obviously had a good breeding season, pairs and small groups
turning up here and there in the bush.
Two male Hooded Robins in the Ranger?s fields were the only ?winter?
robins we found, lots of Jackie Winters though and views to die for of a
flock of Diamond Firetails. Just looked unreal in the warm sun.
Some trees in the campsite were in flower (sorry, hopeless at plant id)
White-throated, White-naped, White-eared, White-plumed, Yellow-faced and
Scarlet Honeyeaters separate and together at times feeding on the
flowers. Only saw 1 each Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater and White-browed
Babbler, 3 Crested Shrike-tits and several White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes.
Drove to Glen Lyon dam on Saturday afternoon for fuel ? screeched to a
stop to watch a large Brown Falcon perched beside the road. On the
return journey screeched to a stop again this time for an absolutely
perfect Red-winged Parrot beside the road.
The wind picked up on a warm morning on Sunday and the birds were laying
low as a result. Just before we left I got the only new bird for this
trip ? Little Eagle, a bogey that has caused me much frustration over
the last few years.
So, no unexpected surprises on the weekend, but a lovely spot and highly
recommended for birders. Peter, the ranger is a keen birder himself and
a really nice guy - even when he tells you that Southern Whitefaces were
seen at the entrance to the park on and off and despite repeated visits
to the location - no luck!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......