birding-aus

CBOC Outing - Deep Creek, Warriewood Wetlands & Long Reef,

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: CBOC Outing - Deep Creek, Warriewood Wetlands & Long Reef,
From: John Reidy <>
Date: 29 June 2004 6:28:37 AM
Sydney

On Saturday 19 June, I led an outing for the Cumberland Bird Observers'
Club to the above.

Highlights were a Peregrine Falcon, presumed female by the build and
size, brilliant male Rose Robin, Azure Kingfisher, Golden and Rufous
Whistlers, Sooty Oystercatcher, Caspian Tern, Southern (Brown) Skua,
Black Browed Albatrosses, Australian Gannets and Fluttering Shearwaters.

Deep Creek was very productive with most of the bush birds seen here.
Prior to the walk up the creek we encountered a number of mixed feeding
flocks which included Tassie and local Silvereyes, Red Browed Finches,
Yellow Robins, Brown Gerygones,  Rufous Whistler and Grey Fantail. After
excellent views of a White Cheeked Honeyeater and Eastern Spinebill, we
proceeded up the track.
On returning to the cars for morning tea some lucky ones glimpsed an
Azure kingfisher as it streaked past.

The wind was blowing very strongly from the North most of the day and
that  curtailed our visit to Warriewood Wetlands after a branch narrowly
missed one of our number. After identifying a Brown Goshawk being
harassed by Magpies and some of us spotting a Fan Tailed Cuckoo we had
an early lunch before heading off to Long Reef. On the walk out to the
headland, we spotted a Richard's Pipit, but the wind was too strong to
reveal much else in the Banksias. Prior to walking out on the reef we
spotted one Black browed Albatross. We saw up to 8 BBA's altogether over
an hour, all of them appeared to be adult and some at least Melanophris.

No other Albatrosses unfortunately and only a few Fluttering
Shearwaters. One Southern Skua was seen by some and perhaps 20 -30
gannets of varying ages were seen.
The waders were: Red Necked Stints 20+, Double Banded Plovers 6 +, Grey
Tailed Tattler 1, Turnstone 1, Sooty Oystercatcher 1. 1 Caspian Tern was
also seen.

While out on the reef the wind died and on our return a southerly came
in with some rain (not enough and only on the coast). 62 species all up.

Species list:
Black Duck
Silvereye
Red Browed Finch