birding-aus

Lake Samsonvale (NW of Brisbane)

To: <>
Subject: Lake Samsonvale (NW of Brisbane)
From: <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:45:40 +1000
We spent several hours on Sunday at and around Golds Scrub Lane on  Lake
Samsonvale just NW of Brisbane.  What a superb place, with  water, grass,
forest and scrub all within a few minutes walk of the car.  Lots of highlights,
but our favourites were:
1) a very-very low, and directly overhead Spotted Harrier fly-over.
2) three King Quail in 2 locations in the sparse-low swampy grass near the
lake-shore (as you face the lake from the cemetery/cemetary (sp?), we walked
out towards the point on the right).  It was good to be able to compare them
with the many Brown Quail we also saw during the morning, the KQs were so much
smaller and darker.
3) Great Crested Grebes doing their cheek-to-cheek - tip-toe dancing routines.

The only snake seen was a Carpet Snake sunning itself on Joseph Crosbie's
gravestone.

We may have spotted the endemic Tom Tarrant from a distance, but he had left by
the time we returned to the carpark.

Cheers
Mat and Cath Gilfedder
Brisbane