birding-aus

swift parrots

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: swift parrots
From: "Jacqui" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:52:40 +1000
How invigorating it is to get away from one's local area and see some
different species.
Just back from  a great weekend out west of Nagambie with a BOCA outing,
seeing many wonderful different honeyeaters: Yellow-faced, many
White-eared,Yellow-tufted, Fuscous, White-plumed, Black-chinned,
Brown-headed, New Holland, and Spinebill. A few pairs of Flame Robins, and
Banded Lapwings topped off my list of favourites. The birds were all very
vocal. A full list of this and all Bayboca outings is on our website. This
weekend gained a group total just over 50.
        But, my biggest thrill was during a stop on the way home at Major's
Reserve, near Puckapunyal. Musk Lorikeets had been called during the day and
I hadn't yet had a look at them. I heard them call here, then a more
strident short, sharp call caught my attention to follow a group of 4
parrots into a nearby eucalypt. As I was studying them, looking for the red
cheek patches and yellow shoulder marks I realised this was something
different, noting the pale red ventral area and long slim tail, and what
seemed to be a yellow ring around the neck and then when I saw the red
marking at the shoulder excitement was setting in!
        Can you believe we didn't have a bird book with us, so I promptly
jotted
down the 7 points I had noticed in anticipation of confirming my sighting
when reaching home. I'm tickled pink to have seen my first mainland Swift
Parrot, after being green with envy every time I read someone else's report
of their sightings. My turn at last.

Jacqui Sheppard
---