birding-aus

RFI: SW QLD and NW NSW

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: RFI: SW QLD and NW NSW
From: "Carl Corden" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:30:00 +1000
Hello,

I am planning a trip this week to soutwest Qld and northwest NSW in an effort to pick up all those inland birds I haven't yet seen (having spent very little time birding west of the Great Divide, that's actually most inland species!).  Depending on road conditions, I was planning on taking the following route:

Day 1 - Brisbane - Dalby (staying with friends here)
Day 2 - Southwood NP - birding sites east of Eulo bore - Eulo bore
Day 3 - Lake Bindegolly
Day 4 - Thargominda
Day 5 - Noccundra - Sturt NP - Tibooburra
Day 6 - Pyampa Station - Tibooburra
Day 7 - Fort Grey - Cameron Corner - road to Merty Merty (probably about 50km along this road) - return to Cameron Corner or Fort Grey
Day 8 - Tibooburra - Wanaaring - Bourke - Gundabooka NP
Day 9 - Torrington SRA
Day 10 - Girraween NP - Ballandean - Brisbane

I am driving a 2wd station wagon, so can anyone please tell me if any legs of my trip will prove difficult/impossible?  In particular, I'm not sure about the road between Noccundra and Tibooburra (via the Warri Warri Gate), or the road to Pyampa Station.  I notice that some maps show a track between the Warri Warri Gate and the Wompah Gate.  Does anyone know if this is passable by 2wd?  The road between Cameron Corner and Merty Merty appears to be closed at the moment (possibly due to recent rains) but since I am only planning to travel part of the way I was hoping that I might still get to look for Banded Whiteface and Eyrean Grasswren.

Finally, can anyone please tell me where the best sites around Eulo (or anywhere else, for that matter) are for Hall's Babbler, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Bourke's Parrot or White-browed Treecreeper?  I have Thomas & Thomas, but I would appreciate any up to date info on exact locations for these species.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Cheers,

Carl Corden
Brisbane, Queensland
Email: