birding-aus

Shortest day.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Shortest day.
From: Shirley Cameron <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:02:38 +1000
In winter when there is no wind there could be no better place than the Western Treatment Plant.   In the winter light the ponds take on a real battle ship grey colour. We started at the Conservation Lagoons, Purple Swamphens, Spotted Crake, Black-winged stilts, Black-fronted and Red-kneed dotterel. as we travelled west there was a lagoon  with lots of Hard-head Duck, near the 145W Outlet there were 9 Godwit, lots of Chestnut Teal, Swans and Cormorants and while we were there a few Shelduck came into land,the  Silver Gulls were a real colour contrast. There were plenty of Cisticola , Chats ,  Welcome Swallows, Gold finches and Willie Wagtails flitting about.
Musk-duck,  Hoary-headed Grebe , both Royal and Yellow-billed Spoonbills, Pelicans and White-faced Herons patrolled Little River, a lone Dusky Moorhen put in appearance there too. .
 In the sky were Black-shouldered Kite, Swamp Harriers , Brown and I think one Black Falcon
The number of Pink-eared duck on Lake Borrie seemed to be less, the Red-necked Avocet were in the Ponds, some  Shovelers flew in, their orange legs were very distinctive. we did not see any Freckled Duck today.
We also saw Calamanthus, wrens, Masked Lapwings.
In about 2 hours we were  delightful by the the soft light and the number of birds.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee