birding-aus

Honeyeater Tree

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Honeyeater Tree
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:10:51 +0930
g'Day all

I was reminiscing about a tree at Wyndham, Western Australia, when it occurred
to me that the bird list for this tree includes many of the Kimberley
Honeyeater's.   It is a ten metre high evergreen growing in the back yard of a
house behind where we used to live at No 25 Great Northern Highway (diagonally
opposite the bakery). I don't know the species however except for it's flowers,
the tree has a similar appearance to the Borhenia (Strzelecki bean tree) of the
SA north eastern deserts.  Usually during April, for a period of about a week
this garden tree produces masses of purple flowers and then becomes alive with
feeding honeyeaters.

On one memorable day several years ago, there were Red-headed Honeyeater,
Banded Honeyeater, Rufous-throated Honeyeater, Bar-breasted Honeyeater,
White-throated Honeyeater, Yellow-tinted honeyeater, Blue-faced Honeyeater,
Little Friar-bird, Silver-crowned Friarbird, Yellow-throated Miner, White-gaped
Honeyeater and Brown Honeyeater, 12 honeyeater species in all feeding together
at the one time in this tree.   Occasionally during the dry season, Singing and
Grey-fronted Honeyeaters can also be seen in this tree (although these species
are more often seen on the eucalyptus covered slopes of nearby hills).

It is a special tree that can produce 14 honeyeater species and this is but one
of many similar trees that combine to make a very interesting habitat around
this remarkable town.

Regards

Ian May

Price, South Australia