birding-aus

Trip report - Maryborough, Vic

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: Trip report - Maryborough, Vic
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:56:12 +1000 (EST)
Alan and I spent two days of the Queen's Birthday
break up at the Paddy Ranges, where in spite of cold
and often wet conditions we managed to see a few good
birds about the area. The Red Ironbarks are in full
bloom and now a few White Ironbarks are joining them.

Swift Parrots are still in the locality, in fact we
thought their numbers had increased somewhat. The
largest number seen all at once was seven, but
individuals and small groups were noted several times
over the two days.
They appeared to be using the Red Ironbark nectar.

It was lovely at long last to see some water in dams
and the ground moist. Making the most of the damp soil
were Fuscous Honeyeaters and Brown Treecreepers, both
seen down foraging under the budding Golden Wattle.

A Crested Bellbird was heard once and a female Hooded
Robin was keeping company with a pair of Jacky Winter.
Southern Whiteface were also noted in this same
paddock on Possum Gully Rd. Black Chinned Honeyeater
are always present and two Owlet Nightjars were
another bonus. We were also surprised to see about ten
Peaceful Dove beneath a clump of old fruit trees, for
some reason we often see them in this spot, but never
so many.

A very pleasant break, despite the weather!

JAN FLACK.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com