birding-aus

Satin Bowerbird near Marysville, Victoria

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbird near Marysville, Victoria
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:29:52 +1000
Another good place to see Satin Bower Birds not too far from Melbourne is at Maroondah Reservoir Park, just beyond Healesville and on the way to Marysville. For some years there has been a bower at the kiosk, right near some tables and chairs. I haven't been there for a while so can't be sure that it is there now. The birds are reasonably easy to find about the park.
Cheers,
Merrilyn

Brian Fleming wrote:

Some years ago I saw numbers of Satin Bowerbirds up the Garfield North
Road (north of the Princes Hwy; turn off via Drew Rd just east of the
big rest stop with toilets). They ere a winter flock in farmland near
the head of the road, past Cannibal Hill, which is also worth a look at
for birds and orchids.

I have also seen quite a few SBBs, more recently, north of Marysville
from bush roads as one heads north towards Alexandra -usually fleeting
glimpses from the car - the floppy flight is unmistakeable.

Of course in Bright they are present in swarms in the colder months -
mostly green birds of course. We found a rather neglected bower in the
shrubbery near the former court-house, behind the Dept Environment's
building.
Anthea Fleming
in Ivanhoe, Vic.

Gil Langfield wrote:
While on a lovely walk near Marysville on a perfect Melbourne day, I
saw in
the distance a medium-sized completely black bird on the ground.  I
though
it had to be either a Little Raven or Currawong but it seemed
different.  As
I got closer it went into the scrub.  I followed a little later and
immediately stumbled on a display area complete with lots of blue
plastic.
I had not thought of Satin Bowerbirds so close to Melbourne (95 km)
and had
never seen one in Victoria even though the distribution maps for the
two
atlas periods that I consulted afterwards show them westward as far as
the
Otway Ranges.

I have more accurate location details if anybody is interested.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia